13 April 2014

LDSGCT: "Bear Up Their Burdens With Ease"

*I've decided to help myself by sharing my thoughts about a different LDS General Conference Talk every Sunday here on the blog. This will be the first from April 2014.

"Bear Up Their Burdens with Ease"

Elder David Bednar talks about the burdens we each have in this life. The talk opens with a story about a friend of his who got his 4x4 truck stuck while out chopping wood off road. It was only after he had loaded the truck with the weight of the wood that he was able to acquire the traction necessary to get un-stuck.

I never considered before that the difficulties and hardships we go through are necessary to keep us moving and progressing; that the difficulties in life we experience are relieved by greater burdens to bear. I had always read in the scriptures that we must share our burdens with the Savior so that they may be lightened. It never occurred to me that sharing them meant that we need their weight.

The past 3 years have been extremely difficult for me--as most of you who read on the regular know. They have been years of anger and my asking Heavenly Father, "Why NOT??" when answers to prayers have consistently been no or not now. I theoretically know that all things are done for our good and to teach us but I truly wish some lessons were only about 22 minutes long.

The Savior is their to assist us with our burdens, to make them bearable, not to take them away from us. He suffered ALL things so the he would know how to comfort us, so that we would have someone in our lives who perfectly and intimately knows what we are going through so we don't have to go through them alone.

I had forgotten this in my misery and feelings of losing control of my life. I need to remember it more and do things that help me forgive the anger in my heart so that he and I can become friends again. The only true and lasting relationship I believe I will ever have is with the Savior. He will never leave me, talk about me behind my back or condemn me for my inexperience or ignorance. He truly loves me as I am.

Enjoy your Palm Sunday and remember what was done for you so many years ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment