29 May 2014

In Which the Author Contemplates Life in Prison

So....remember back in 2012, the year from Hell, where I was stalked and robbed over a period of time? Well, one of the things that was stolen was my checkbook. Since my car was in the shop being repaired for almost a month I wasn't sure it was actually stolen until after I got my car back. By this time whoever was doing the stalking and robbing had my checkbook with my bank account information for a total of 6 weeks.

When we called the police to have them come investigate so we could file a report the police officer said that from everything that we described it was highly probably that the stalker/thief was someone who worked for the apartment complex. This person had access to the keys to the apartment and most likely my rental application and lease. These things had my social security number, my driver's license number, my workplace, my mom's home address, etc.

I followed the officer's advice and immediately called my bank to have my checking account frozen and all the money transferred to a new account. I also changed my phone number, email address, moved, and placed a fraud alert on my social security number. It looks like I was too late.

In the past month I have received 2 phone calls notifying me that I am being served with a court summons as someone has filed a complaint charging me with alleged fraud. The first phone call I was able to talk to the person who was coming to serve me the papers and explained to him what happened. Since just talking about those events and what transpired caused me to have a mild panic attack on the phone, he was very understanding. He said that he would do some further investigating into the matter because while it looks like I took out a payday cash advance loan from one of those check cashing places I in fact did not. I never heard back from him.

Last night, I had a voicemail informing me that the Harris County Court System was coming with two police officers to serve me with a court summons on a complaint of fraud. I called them back immediately but got their voicemail. This nightmare just doesn't end. How do you prove that you didn't commit fraud when the person who did used your name, your social security number, your workplace, and your checking account information to steal money from a lending institution???

Whoever this person was who did this has ruined my name, reputation, and credit report. I can't even lease an apartment or open a checking account because of this situation. I'm also in danger of losing a potential job offer with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice at their hospital in Galveston because of this. I have to move out of my house in two weeks and the only options I see for a place to sleep are a kind person's couch or a motel you rent by the week. I have a job interview later today for a position at a hospital where I really want to work.

The way this looks at 4AM is bleak. I could go to prison for who knows how long to pay for someone else's crime or work 7 days a week to pay off debts that I didn't incur. Where's the justice? When will this nightmare end? Why in the world would someone want to pretend to be me?

2 comments:

  1. Emily, I am so sorry to read this. I had no idea of the origin of your PTSD until now. Sounds awful! I recently learned of a group that might be able to help. The name is Houston Volunteer Lawyers, and they are a part of the bar association. Here is the link. I hope they can help you. Best wishes to you. Bonnie http://www.makejusticehappen.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I am so sorry to hear this. What a frustrating and difficult situation. I hope so much this will get worked out quickly and that it will not affect your job or future. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete