04 April 2014

Entering Decade 3

My sister recently turned 20. She's officially become too cool for her older sister. I call her and guys answer her phone and take messages. She almost got engaged but that was successfully averted because she's no dummy. I'm reminded how the roles have reversed. When she was little, all she wanted was for me to play with her. Now, I'm the one calling her up and asking if she wants to watch TV over Skype.

My sister is incredibly beautiful. When she was about 8 or 9 a family friend told my parents she should consider modeling. They asked her if she wanted to and she declined with a classic "ick, no" face. She has straight brown hair, brown eyes, and brown skin. The complete opposite of me. People can tell we're related though but they always think she's my daughter.




She and I both saw "Frozen" in movie theaters multiple times but not with each other. She's the one who convinced me I needed to watch it. Although, when she told me our mother said Melanie was exactly like Anna and I was very much like Elsa, I didn't appreciate the comparison to the Snow Queen. Now, that I've seen the movie, I totally get it.

The week my dad died was also the week my sister turned 12. He died on Tuesday night; MJT's birthday was Friday; the funeral was Saturday; my mom's birthday was Wednesday. It was not a pleasant week. The night my dad died, Melanie and I couldn't sleep. We shared a room and my King sized bed and decided to watch "The Lion King." Our brothers wandered in one-by-one and when they realized what we had on turned around and ran from the room. They were smart. Melanie and I bawled together and blamed it on Mufasa.

Now, I recognize what a truly amazing woman my sister is and feel a bit like Anna.

"Do you want to build a snowman? It doesn't have to be a snowman."



No comments:

Post a Comment